1.15.2011

Just a couple of hours

I didn't want to write about Black Swan in any way, shape or form until I had seen it. Now that I have, I can safely say it is one of the only films I have ever seen that can truly be described as art. It's also one of the only films I have ever seen that have challenged me in watching them. The self-destruction and decay of the mind in this movie are painful to watch, but so beautifully portrayed that tears came to my eyes more than once. I would never call this a horror film, though. It's too smart for that. It really messes with your mind, and it's brilliant! I can never look at mirrors the same way again... What can I say, I could simply gush over this movie all night. And Natalie Portman? That girl was insane! You already knew about my undying love, so that shouldn't come as a surprise. However, Mila Kunis also gave an amazing performance, and both women not only trained for months, but dropped weight in order to achieve the waif-like ballerina physique.

Of course, I can't forget to point out the gorgeous costumes by Rodarte. They make Swan Lake all the more contemporary.





sketches courtesy of Rodarte, all others unknown

Oddly enough, I watched Billy Elliot today (another ballet movie) that ended with a number from Swan Lake. Is Black Swan to take over my subconscious? Quite possibly.

No comments:

Post a Comment