8.12.2011

I wanna be like Grace Kelly



Givenchy Fall 2011 Ready-to-WearGivenchy Fall 2011 Ready-to-Wear







I believe I've found some of my inspiration for fall this year! I want to take the 50s and subvert them however I can. No, I will not wear a poodle skirt, but the full A-line skirt will hopefully make an appearance. The youth of the 50s was paving the way for the mods, hippies, and rockers of the 60s and every subculture after. Basically, they took the 50s in their stride with a major fuck-you attitude. It's hard to ignore the glamour of the era but even more difficult to overlook the rebellion of the young against the old. But I don't want to look all dark and dour all the time; here's to color! I mean, heeeeelllllooooooo. Pink Ladies? Pin ups? Rockabilly? I want fun and provocation to go hand in hand. That leaves quite a bit of territory to explore. By the way, did anyone else notice the Bettie Page sweaters from Givenchy's Fall 2011 collection? An overt hurrah to the queen of pin ups.
In other news, I'm leaving for camp on Monday followed by London the next Tuesday. If posts don't show up this weekend, then expect silence for the next two weeks. I know! A whole fortnight without my Internet presence! I'm aghast, too. But don't despair! We'll all have a nice lengthy conversation when I return. Stay sassy!

James Dean, Pink Ladies, unknown, vintage Balenciaga, Givenchy Fall 2011, To Catch a Thief, Lady Gaga, 50's beachwear, Natalie Wood, Vogue cover, Tommy Ton (that whole lookbook is awesome)

And I just had to post one of my favorite songs of the 50s...

No comments:

Post a Comment